Thursday, September 17, 2009

From Solid to Laminate Skis

The skis on the right are of a traditional design - (I scraped two lines around the length of the ski and put no other words, graphics, or markings on them). They are also fitted with a 3 pin binding and made out of a solid piece of Maple.

I am currently nearing the end of the design phase of my laminate ski model currently being called the "Øverbø". Øverbø is the birthplace of Sondre Norheim which my wife and I visited while in Norway. Sondre is given credit for designing the telemark style ski that utilizes a sidecut as well designing the first free heel binding. Being the birthplace of the 'father of modern day skiing' I thought Øverbø would be a great name for this ski. The ski is also a backcountry/telemark ski.









The photo on the left is of my wife in between Morgedal and Øverbø. On the right is from Øverbø. A great website to check out is www.morgedal.com - it is home to an amazing ski museum as well as some great people! It is a close and beautiful hike from Morgedal to Sondre Norheim's house.

1 comment:

  1. I am interested in making my own cross country skis and just started to research. I got this site from woodenskis.com. Greg was kind enough to send me some articles about ski making, however, I am shocked to find no one has written a detailed book about ski and pole making? This is a dying art and the only way to keep it alive is to share the knowledge. Are there any detailed plans on how to make cross country skis?

    ReplyDelete

TOOLS

TOOLS
Click on the photo to see more tools

Skis in the making

Skis in the making

Finished Traditional Cross Country Skis (Click photo below to see the ski making process)

SNOW GOGGLES

SNOW GOGGLES
Hand Made Snow Goggles